Create Account

    Venue

    San Antonio City Council Chambers, Municipal Plaza

    114 W. Commerce St.
    San Antonio, TX 78205

    municipal_plaza_building.jpg

    The Municipal Plaza Building is an historically sign9cant building located within the Main and Military Plaza Historic District on Plaza de las Islas next to San Fernando Cathedral. The 12-story building was constructed to house the Frost National Bank and was completed in 1922. Original interior features included a bank lobby with a three-story high space, an ornamental coffered plaster ceiling featuring floral medallions, a mezzanine...

    The Municipal Plaza Building is an historically sign9cant building located within the Main and Military Plaza Historic District on Plaza de las Islas next to San Fernando Cathedral. The 12-story building was constructed to house the Frost National Bank and was completed in 1922. Original interior features included a bank lobby with a three-story high space, an ornamental coffered plaster ceiling featuring floral medallions, a mezzanine wrapping around the second sto y, stone arcades, electricalfixtures by Tiffany, Italian marble stairway and bronze pocket doors at the entrance.

     

    In 1973, Frost Bank moved to its current location on Houston Street. Luby's Cafeteria occupied the former bank lobby spacefrom 1975 to 1989. The City of San Antonio purchased the building in 1989. City Council voted in 1992 to relocate the Council Chamber to the former bank lobby and renamed the building the Municipal Plaza Building in April, 1994. 



    Full map and directions


    There is no accessibility service information available at this time.


    Upcoming Events

    There are no upcoming events at this time.

      • FEATURED