1174 E. Commerce, San Antonio, TX 78205
Built in 1902, for the sum of $115,000, the Southern Pacific Depot was one of the stops for the famous Sunset Limited, a train that connected San Francisco with New Orleans and San Antonio. Known as, “the building of 1,000 lights” because of the many electric lights installed during its construction, the station also served as the hub for incoming and outgoing military personnel. On February 26, 1907 fire consumed the roof of the station and severely damaged the southwest corner of the building causing it to collapse to the floor. Seven months later the station was reopened. Former President Calvin Coolidge stopped at the Southern Pacific Depot for 20 minutes on February 16, 1930. On the train he discussed the Mt. Rushmore Monument with sculptor Gutzon Borglum. Today, you can enter into the renovated structure at Sunset Depot and view the re-creation of the 16-foot-diameter rose window that fills the north end of the building. Our 1916 Steam Engine 794 is a great spot for photographs and is also included in the walking tour of the district. With its grand staircase and ornate vaulted ceilings, this space provides the perfect setting for any group. Flexible and versatile in its use, the Sunset Depot represents premier event space unrivaled in beauty and history throughout the city of San Antonio.