The land that includes Lion’s Field, 2908 Broadway, was once a pasture for George W. Brackenridge’s collection of animals, including buffalo and elk. The property belonged to Brackenridge’s San Antonio Water Supply Company, which he sold in 1906 to owners who kept the land until 1916. Guided by Parks Commissioner Ray Lambert, the City purchased the property for $30,000 so that “. . . the natural beauty of the park will not be spoiled. . . . ” When it was opened on October 1, 1925, the playground was hailed as “one of the best in the United States.” Over 10,000 people attended the opening, including 1,000 children who took part in a huge game of tag. Lion’s Field has remained an active recreation center, now geared toward Senior Citizens, for 72 years. It is guarded by a proud marble lion designed by San Antonio’s master sculptor and Lions Club member, Louis Rodriguez. On its base, the lion stands eight feet tall, is 14 feet long and is made of Italian marble.
2809 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78209
ALBUQUERQUE LITTLE THEATRE